20100422

Barcs in New York, Part 8

First of all, sorry about the current colour scheme. I'll change it over the coming [insert time unit of your choice here and add an 's' at the end]. Although if you're reading this at a date in the distant future then you may be going "yeah it's terrible" even though I've fixed it.

Hmph, whatever... part 1 here


Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:44 am Post subject: Steamy Nose Breath

Wednesday was Thanksgiving eve. Now as you may know I work for a gas company, and the company I work for supplies the helium to the floats for the Macy's Day Parade. So every year they load the folks from the office on to buses and take them out to see the balloon filling. This happens the day before the parade and it's really very popular amongst the punters. Mainly punters with kids. I got run over by 4 strollers and a pram!

It was pretty cold. I had steamy nose breath. I was able to burrow a camera from the office for the weekend and took a few photos. I'll put one on the blog if Piers can help me out.

On Tuesday the guy who's the project manager asked me if I'm doing anything on Thanksgiving day. I said that apart from a little work, no. He said work in the morning but come out for Thanksgiving with us. So I said Thanks. Later he came back and said, by the way - if you want to have Thanksgiving dinner you've got to kill the turkey with a shotgun first. I said, well - so long as I don't have to wring its neck with my bare hands. He smiled and gave me the thumbs up. Hmm, I think he was joking.

Look, sorry but I gotta go. I've written a bit more but it's unfinished and I'm off to Thanksgiving dinner now. I've got to give some info on what happened when I asked the Sydney girl out for a drink on Wednesday after the parade. Also I telephoned my Mum and she sent an amusing email to me. I'm sure she won't mind quoting a little from it:

I worry about you being warm enough and getting your laundry done - hope you're using the hotel for that - BOC will pay, it's part of the travelling thing when you're away for as long as you are.

Ahh, Mum's gotta love 'em. Yes Mum, My underwear is clean.



Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:13 pm Post subject: Thanksgiving

Later he came back and said, by the way - if you want to have Thanksgiving dinner you've got to kill the turkey with a shotgun first. I said, well - so long as I don't have to wring it's neck with my bare hands. He smiled and gave me the thumbs up. Hmm, I think he was joking.

A couple of people said yeah that'd be right, or I wouldn't put it past him - that crazy Cuban's got a big gun collection, you know. Well, whatever, he picked me up from the hotel at about 1 and it turns out that he's in the Army reserves. He was in Afghanistan in 2002. He likes hunting but hasn't hunted for 8 or 10 years because his wife wouldn't appreciate him gutting a deer in the back yard very much.

Well we got to his place and the turkey was cooked, so no shooting necessary. He's a kidder. Present was him, his wife, his youngest daughter his cousin and her husband and their daughter and one grandparent - I didn't catch who's. I brought a relatively expensive bottle of wine to drink with dinner and they appreciated it. Had I known that one of the conversations over dinner was about a great wine called Two Buck Chuck and how all other wine makers in the world are rip off merchants I could have saved myself a little money but there you go. Thanksgiving dinner consisted of turkey, stuffing, gravy, some kind of yam dish, crumbed cauliflower, boiled broccoli, green garden salad and deep fried mozzarella sticks.

Everyone was real nice and they talked the usual family type stuff like about people they knew 20 years ago and I'd smile and nod politely and then they'd look at me and they'd say something like you're being very quiet to help me feel more comfortable around them, or they'd say are you sure you don't want more turkey? No thank you, I'd say, and then I'd pat my tummy in the traditional if I eat any more I'm likely to throw up gesture and smile politely.

I gave the ol' Australian spiel about Australia; how kangaroos don't live in most peoples back yards, the Crocodile Hunter's name is Steve Irwin and I haven't been to his zoo, most people survive shark attacks, nobody in Australia drinks Fosters, and how dingo's only run off with peoples babies once every 20 years - so we're a little overdue for another one. All in all it was pretty fun. Maybe not fun so much - it's not the right word but it was really nice of the guy to invite me to dinner with his family and I really appreciated their hospitality.

So yeah. Anyway, I was going to tell you about yesterday (Wednesday). I got back to the hotel nearly around 9. In fact, it was exactly nearly around 9 and I'm thinking the whole trip back to the hotel that I really ought to phone this Sydney girl and see if she'd like to go out for a drink. I had the phone out and baulked at pressing the dial button when her name came up. (Baulked means I totally shat myself. Totally shat myself is a metaphor. Metaphor is a figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to something that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a similarity. i.e. There was nothing implied in the segue between underpant cleanliness and the telephone call but thanks for asking). I distracted myself by dislodging some errant ear debris, and contemplated the exact shade of white the ceiling must be*, while some brave part of me pressed the call button and before I knew it the phone was ringing.

So she answers and a bit of chit chat macy's day parade cold crowded lots of strollers yeah I got hit by a couple too fun though glad i went lots of traffic just got back about ten minutes ago hey if you're not doing anything i thought maybe you'd like to go for a drink tonight or something actually i've got a real early train to catch and i'd like to get a bit of an early one but hey thanks for asking no problem i just thought on the off chance you know yeah i'll see you on sunday though i'll call you in the arvo ok cool chit chat chit chat and so on...

Six minutes and eleven seconds after she answered "hello" the end button was pressed. Make of that what you will. I've got no idea and no opinion and I'll continue as I continue to do. Whatever that is. Whatever that means.

Whelp, I've got no idea what I'll be doing tomorrow. It's the biggest shopping day of the year here so maybe I'll help Dad out. Here's another part of Mum's email.

Dad was wondering If you venture into another drug store if you could get him a couple of cans of "RightGuard Sport Scented Anti-perspirant Deodorant" but only if you have nothing better to buy or do - he likes it and you can't get it here but he stresses that you shouldn't bother if it's a hassle.

While I'm at it, does anybody else want anything from the drug store? That RightGuard Sport Scented Anti-perspirant Deodorant sounds pretty good.



*Butter Cream 2523

No comments:

Post a Comment